Monday 25 January 2016

Disposable Society OPEN CALL Promotions



By chance I walked past as a worker was taking what he said was eight years of posters off one of the boards in Hyde Park. I salvaged as much as I could carry as I felt the aesthetic of the ripped, weathered aesthetic and also the idea of more and more layers of paper being put up over one another fits with the Disposable Society them. I intend to use some of them for my actual piece for the exhibition but as I collected so much me and Ellie produced posters from them. We printed the informations in a bold typeface, black on white, and cut strips out so the information stood out against the existing type and colour. 


I photographed one of the posters with the most varied colour and made this into a gif that changes Hue to use on social media. This will just make the design a little more eycatching amidst the sea of imagery on Facebook, Twitter and the like. 


We decided to push the submission date back to the 20th as we realised that many of our friends who were meant to be submitting would not have the time to produce their pieces in the small amount of time between the dissertation deadline and the 7th of Feb. I made this amendment to the gif and again tweeted this. 




Me and Rees also built an A-board to display the Poster and have taken this to a few different events to try and drum up interest. 
Aswell as all this I spent two and a half hours emailing numerous studios, colleges and university art departments, SU's and individual artists. I sent them all a similar message but customised each one a little to make the emails more personable.
We have also all been tweeting the link, sharing the open call for submissions post regularly on Facebook and the link to the downloadable brief is displayed in the instagram bio. We plan to do more to actually advertise the event closer to the launch night.
Me and Rees wrote a very simple open brief to try and explain succinctly what the exhibition is and to provide the information necessary for participants.


Alongside all this we have all been constantly updating the twitter instagram and facebook pages.





0 comments:

Post a Comment